Friday, April 11, 2014

Do I really need to do spine exercises?








"Injury occurs when load exceeds tissue tolerance.  The spinal column, devoid of it's musculature has been found to buckle at a load of only approximately 20 pounds at L5.  However during routine activities, loads 20-times this are encountered on a routine basis."
-Craig Liebenson, D.C.
Rehabilitation of the Spine: A Practitioner's Manual

So, to answer the question of "Do I really need to do spine exercises?", the answer is a big ole YES.  I've been practicing since 1999 and I would say the majority of my patients have either done no spine exercises or not stuck with it after doing them for a few weeks.  

Why is this?  The great majority of us believe if we feel good then we must be OK.  I certainly used to believe this and even now I have to remind myself to do my spine exercises when I'm already feeling good.

Unfortunately, feeling good is not the same thing as having a healthy strong spine at all.  Keeping our spines in good shape actually takes a little work.  Specifically, it takes routine spinal adjustments (yes, even if you already feel good - more about that in a later post) and it takes getting in the habit of doing some simple yet very effective spine exercises.

Remember, if you take the muscle away, it only takes 20 pounds of pressure on your low back for it to buckle and damage.  Keeping the spinal joints moving through regular adjustments is what keeps the joints healthy, keeps wear and tear arthritis at bay, and keeps irritation off the nerves helping your whole body to function better.

But, it's the MUSCLES that support and protect your spine.  Weak spine muscles equals a weak spine.  Next time you're in, ask us about getting started on your spine exercises.  It only takes about 5 minutes a day a few times a week, but it can make all the difference in the world!

Ken Hicks, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment